Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sooooo tragic . . .

That my camera ran out of batteries. Because I had the most fantastic hairstyle this afternoon.

I was tired (can't seem to go to sleep before my night-owl husband does) and so I set the kids up with watercolors and tried to lay down for a minute. Carter came in a few minutes later reporting that he painted on a couple of things he wasn't supposed to, but "is that ok and can we be friends again?" After we resolved that, Mac came in a few minutes later and declared that he had drawn on his beloved blankies with a pen, "but only a little bit."

So I gave up on a nap and instead let the kids play hairstylist. Lately, Carter asks if he can brush my hair right after I finish doing it in the morning, and I usually am not so keen on restyling my hair. So I told them to go for it. Four brushes, two picks, a comb, several bobby pins, some hair jaws, and thirty minutes later, I looked totally amazing and had fantastic material for a blog post.

The following are excerpts from my styling session (I finally started taking notes--it was so funny):

C: Mom, when I do it like that, your hair looks like the pointy roof on a house. (hair parted down the middle and teased for volume)

M: Mom, don't you just love to have your hair all tangled?

C: If you go to the store like this, everyone will think you are so beautiful.

M: Um, mommy, I can't get my brush out of your hair.

C: Mom, did you want your hair to look like this today, but you didn't know how to do it?

I started telling them how their mom cuts their hair, but lots of kids and parents go to a store called a salon to get their hair done. I tried to explain highlights to them:

C: So do they use spray paint to do the colors?

M: Mom, can we paint your hair?

C: When you sit in that chair, do they really put a washing machine on your head? (I was trying to explain the hair dryer-apparently it didn't translate.)

So yeah, if you were to see me on the street this afternoon, I might look a little odd, but hey, my kids think I am beautiful.

2 comments:

Blanck said...

Now you don't have to pay somebody to do your hair. You have two professionals at your disposal...

MegT said...

I personally would like to see you with a washing machine on your head